Learning Lent

Today is a beautiful day.

Wednesdays are always a slump day for me. You're right in the middle of your week, not quite to the weekend, but still in full gear.

But this morning was different.

For Lent, I gave up sleeping in. I didn't set a lofty goal of saying that I'd be up by 5am everyday for coffee and quiet time, because I know that I'm not a morning person and wouldn't have been able to function the rest of the day. However, I have been getting up around 6 and enjoying my mornings. I listen to music or prayer podcasts. I enjoy the sunrise. I enjoy my coffee.

However, it's not all bunnies and unicorns and rainbows. It's been 1 week today, and there have more morning where I have been tempted to stay in my warm bed and not brave the frigid 52 degrees that our bedroom averages. But that's the point right? I'm learning obedience, even when I am tired, even when I'm cold, even when I just don't feel like it. I'm learning self-discipline- something that seems to come easier to others but that talent or gene skipped right over me. Yet, there is something special about it not being easy. There's something to be gained by choosing to do something for Jesus.

This morning, was a good morning even though I was cold and a bit tired. I was rewarded with a reminder that I'm loved.


Comments