[ I Dont Like Mothers Day ]



I don't really like Mother's Day. And I don't like that I don't like Mother's Day. I like my mother, a lot actually. We're good friends. And I like Sundays. I even like celebrating the beautiful person that my mother is and continues to grow into, teaching me all along the way. Celebrating mothers is important. Moms should be applauded, celebrated and cheered for. But Mother's Day could and should be so much more.

I have been married for 2 1/2 years, and at this point the Hubs and I don't have children. We are not in that place yet and have made that choice. When we are, it will be wonderful and I will embrace it with open arms. Yet not having kids has made me more sensitive. Sensitive to other women and their beautiful journeys. Celebrating a day solely for women who are mothers, leaving the others hurting at the wayside, strikes a chord with me that resonates deeply and hits a nerve.

What about those who struggle with infertility? What about those who have been abused by their mothers? What about those who have lost their mothers this year? What about those who have struggled through miscarriages? What about those who are mentor or spiritual moms? These women matter, but they don't match the cookie-cutter mom with kids in tow. These women should be celebrated, acknowledged and not forgotten. Each story is beautiful, telling it's own narrative of love, hope and grace.

So this Mother's Day, I want to celebrate mothering women. I came across a blog that explains my heart in words so eloquently and clearly, they hit straight to my heart. Her words commend mothering for the ways it reflects the Image of God. It's beautiful, freeing and made me a little teary eyed as she celebrates all of our beautiful journeys.


To those who gave birth this year to their first child—we celebrate with you

To those who lost a child this year – we mourn with you

To those who are in the trenches with little ones every day and wear the badge of food stains – we appreciate you

To those who experienced loss this year through miscarriage, failed adoptions, or running away—we mourn with you

To those who walk the hard path of infertility, fraught with pokes, prods, tears, and disappointment – we walk with you. Forgive us when we say foolish things. We don’t mean to make this harder than it is.

To those who are foster moms, mentor moms, and spiritual moms – we need you

To those who have warm and close relationships with your children – we celebrate with you

To those who have disappointment, heart ache, and distance with your children – we sit with you

To those who lost their mothers this year – we grieve with you

To those who experienced abuse at the hands of your own mother – we acknowledge your experience

To those who lived through driving tests, medical tests, and the overall testing of motherhood – we are better for having you in our midst

To those who will have emptier nests in the upcoming year – we grieve and rejoice with you
And to those who are pregnant with new life, both expected and surprising –we anticipate with you

This Mother’s Day, we walk with you. Mothering is not for the faint of heart and we have real warriors in our midst. We remember you.



To read the blog post visit her blog at: Messy Middle

Comments