Bats & the Bees

The alarm went off. Some song mixed with the buzz as the phone rattled across our dresser. 5:25am and time to get up. The Hubs and I dragged ourselves out of bed and into the kitchen. With his healthy whole grain box of frosted flakes in front of him, he dug into his cereal as I made our choice of drink that makes the world go-round at 5:30 in the morning. Coffee. But not just any coffee: caramel lattes.

Remington watched sleepily from his bed in the corner. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way I do about mornings. Extreme dislike. Aruba, on the other hand, is a bundle of pure kitty-cat joy in the morning. She does laps up-the-bed, down-the-bed, across-the-living-and-back-again. She is a morning kitty through and through.

With coffee in hand, teeth brushed and lunch made, the Hubs set out for work. I turned to the few dishes lying in the sink calling my name. Only seconds later did the door fly open, the Hubs burst through. Both Remington and I were startled as he slammed the door shut, an odd look across his face.

"A bat just ran into me. My neck. It flew at me."

Um, say what? A bat, flew into you? That's a weird thought to have at 6am. Even a weirder experience since bats usually fly at dusk, in the evening, as they munch on bugs. Bats also usually fly up higher and avoid hitting anything UNLESS they are sick. Back to the bat comment.

"A bat flew into you?" I asked.

"Yes. It hit me." He said.

I looked out the window, no bat in sight. I did see a swarm of bees though. Yes, bees. You did read that correctly. We have a motion light in our backyard that had been triggered when the Hubs had attempted to leave for work. A dozen or so bees were swarming around the lights. I hate bees. I am terrified of bees. The Hubs feels close to the same about bats, except with more hatred while I feel terror. Both are especially alarming when either come flying at your face, hurtling towards your person, ready to inflict pain or harm. Disgusting.

We stood in our mudroom for a second. We looked at each other. We looked at Remington. He cocked his head to the side, confused why on earth we would not be going outside since we were standing in the mudroom. Logical, right? Regardless, there we stood.

The sun was just beginning to lighten up the sky, work was calling and the Hubs was already going to be a bit late. Grabbing a flashlight, we both headed out together. We made it past the bees swarming above our door. Their buzzing making my pulse race. We made it to the end of our sidewalk before we were dive bombed AGAIN by the disgusting rat on wings. The bat dove at us for the second time and sent us both running back inside, past the swarm of bees again.

Once again we found ourselves standing in the mudroom, looking at Remington and each other. Thoroughly disgusted and both completely freaked out by the wild animals taking over our backyard, we knew it had come time for drastic measures. I grabbed his lunchbox. He grabbed his keys and delicious caramel latte I had made for him just fifteen minutes before, not knowing the drama that was about to unfold. Then, we ran. We made it to the car, no bat. Safe and sound.

What a way to start a morning...

Comments