[ Bad Ideas ]


This whole warm weather thing has been a bit of a doozy. Maybe it was the long winter, maybe I'm just getting old, but I feel as though I am melting. Slowly, slowly melting...

Last night, a storm swept through our area, taking out some power lines, thundering through the night and keeping us all awake until the early hours. Even Remington was not a fan of the storm and ended up sleeping with us so he would calm down. I'm going to blame the lack of sleep for the worst coffee making experience...

I've started making my cold press in the mornings. 1 part coffee to 4.5 parts water. Mix in a French Press and let is sit for 8+ hours. Last night, as my kitchen was 86.4 degrees and I was, again, slowly melting, I decided to put my French Press in the fridge. Good idea, right? I would have nice chilled coffee in the morning and be able to handle the humidity and dew points that are creeping into 70% (which makes it feel tropical outside).

Nope, not a good idea... it was a BAD IDEA! My fridge has issues and occasionally freezes things. Like last night, it froze a good 1/2 inch of my coffee grounds on top of my delicious cold press coffee. After staring at my coffee and letting a few ideas run through of how to get to the deliciousness underneath, I stuck it in the microwave for a minute or two. Not a bad idea and it loosened up some of the ice. I then took a knife to the ice and tried to push it down.


That was bad idea #2 as coffee squished out of the ice and a new Old Faithful erupted in a mess of soaked coffee grounds and cold water in my kitchen, on the counter, on the floor and all over my shirt. I quickly realized my French Press was made to push the grounds down (again, blamed on lack of sleep from storm) and used the French Press for its actual purpose. It worked like a gem, I pour my coffee, added some creamer and set it on the counter. Absolutely did not actually screw the cap on causing me to spill yet again on myself, the floor and counter and shoes. After cleaning coffee up AGAIN, I finally made it out the door and into the car without anymore incidents...

So... here's to Minnesota storms, Fridays & laughing at yourself!

Comments