Cookie Genius

Follow my blog with Bloglovin For those with gluten intolerance, sensitivity or those that have been blessed with full-blown Celiac, I always appreciate when I find new tips or tricks. The Hubs loves cookies, especially the Boda family recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I've struggled for the past 2 years with flat cookies that resemble pancakes more than cookies or mushy piles of who-knows-what. Cookies are a delicate science and those who baked gluten free know that I am actually not kidding. I've found a couple of tips that have been very beneficial to my cookie makin':

1. Don't completely melt the butter, just soften it. It might mean that you need to check it a couple more times if you're heating it in the microwave, but it'll be worth it.

2. Use Xathan Gum. It helps do what normal flour would be doing and keeps the dough together. For a regular batch of cookies, I use about 1 tablespoon. It may seem like a lot, but they are cookies and well worth it!

3. Let your dough chill for at least 30 minutes before you spoon it onto a pan. This makes the whole cookie-makin' process a bit longer, but it helps to keep cookies from melting into puddles on the pan in the over.

4. Freeze cookie dough balls for future use. The Hubs loves cookies but I don't want to make 2 dozen cookies and have them hanging around the kitchen. I freeze an entire pan of cookie dough balls, which one they are frozen can be store in an airtight container and pulled out when you feel like having a warm cookie or two with a class of milk.

5. This is my latest, awesomest trick: cook your cookie dough balls in muffin tins. I have reusable muffin cups and they worked awesome! Make sure to let the cookie cool a bit before you pull it out, otherwise it'll probably fall apart.


Comments