4 months. 12 pounds. 1 Huge Lesson.


I've been on a journey for the past 4 months pursuing a way that balances a healthy lifestyle along with the normal busyness that surrounds everyone with family, jobs, house and pets. I originally wrote about being The Biggest Loser back in January when I started this whole expedition into this scary unknown.

There's a lot to be said from a lot of different people about weight loss and being skinny. A lot of what I hear is from the media with skinny celebrities, yada yada yada. I'm sure you're familiar with what I'm talking about- Skinny is beautiful. Well, I disagree. I don't just disagree. That message makes me mad. The pressure put on women, of any age, is sickening and I don't want to fall prey to it. Everyone is built differently. Beautiful women start on the inside, reflecting the wonderful woman that God has created them to be. Beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes we just forget the part of taking care of the outside. Just as spending time with God is important for the inside, we need to spend time taking care of the outside. What we put in our body reflects on the outside.

All of this is what started this journey in January. I had put on some weight and wanted to live in a way that I was choosing healthy things to put in my body and healthy activities to stay active. I did NOT want to live in a way that my weight, size or anything of that nature controlled everything I did. There is nothing wrong with a piece of cake. However, there is something wrong or unhealthy about having a second or third piece of cake. That's unhealthy and unnecessary eating. As I started this journey, I wanted to eat in moderation. I wanted to eat healthy things. I wanted to cut out sweets. What I choose to put in my body effects how I feel, weight gain, weight loss, moods and the list goes on.

Realizing the importance of this might be the first step, but it's such a minor step compared to the actual decision to follow through with all of these choices. However, I did it. For the past 4 months, I have been choosing smaller portions, cutting out fatty or sweet foods and eat better food (veggies & fruits).

HOWEVER and this is key, when I do slip up and have something, like a candy bar or cookie, I move on. A lot of dieting seems to rely on guilt and feelings of remorse that are not helpful, discouraging and downright dumb. Yes, dumb. So, I move on. The next hour is a new hour, the next day is a new day and I'll always have a chance to do the right thing next time. This is not something I learned alone. While I do have a group of wonderful women that support each other as we are all on this journey to healthier living, I have to give a lot of credit to my one and only mother. A woman wise beyond her years, the same woman who modeled what a healthy outlook on eating and activity is for all my growing up years, shared this small huge nugget of wisdom with me. Guilt has no place in my healthy lifestyle.

Along with eating and staying active, I've also been weighing every single week with my awesome group of women. I'm down 12 pounds. 12. That's no minor accomplishment either considering how much I hate working out. I'm down inches in my bust, waist, thighs, you name it! It's exciting to celebrate with women as they experience the similar accomplishments. It's been a great 4 months of Biggest Loser and we have 1 more to go!

Here's my motto for the past 4 months:

I AM: 
Learning a healthier way of living through eating right, exercising regularly and establishing betters lifestyle habits with other women who hold you accountable.

I am going to continue doing the Biggest Loser group even after our last weigh-in in May. If you would be interested in joining, either comment on this post or send me an email. We have weekly weigh-ins and monthly measurements which are shared with a group of other ladies who are supportive regardless of numbers and progress. We are all built differently and I choose to celebrate that!

Comments