Wrong Side of the Bed

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

It's been known to happen a time or two. Especially when I'm not typically a morning person, magnified by the fact that it was way to hot in our bedroom to be sleeping last night. So, woke up. at 5:30am. Remember, not a morning person? 5:30am is practically the middle of the night for people like me. Once I struggled to pull myself out of my I got ready to go and work out (Yes, I am still faithfully doing CrossFit!). Took the dog out, fed dog, put dog outside. And left to go drive to the college. As I was driving a profound thought stuck me.

Today is going to be how I choose to make it.

I slept horrible, yes. Yes, I woke up sweating because storms moved through during the night and brought us more heat and humidity. Yes, the dog was absolutely obnoxious this morning. BUT I have the choice every morning to make my day into a good one or a not so good. It doesn't seem that profound at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, but this morning when I was grumbling to myself as I cruised along our beautiful winding country roads, it was a level of profoundness that caught my attention.

How often do I allow what's happening to change my attitude? How often do I allow how people treat me to change or dictate how I choose to respond? How often does this happen? More than it should. Early mornings, rude cashiers, grumpy drivers... we've all experienced it. We've all done it. I want to learn to choose my attitude, to choose my responses. It's not easy. But what happens when someday the Hubs and I have children, they are being little spitfires and hellions running around the house, and I have not practice and learned to control my attitude and responses? What happens if the baby keeps me up all night and I have a million+ things to do the next day that can't be postponed? Sometimes being a grown-up is hard. But not only will learning to choose to response to the difficult things and situations in love, grace and kindness help me in the long run. It will demonstrate and teach others about important things like love, grace and kindness. It will teach my children someday. It will teach friends.

What if learning to control 
my own attitude and responses 
is really a way to show someone love?


Just a couple thoughts from my morning and waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

Comments