Home


Home. It’s a four letter word (no, not THAT kind of four letter word). But in these four important letters, so much is summed up. So much is contained and said in the word, “Home.” 

Before I got married, I thought that home would be where I would be living, Minnesota. I’d be leaving my parents home to start my own life, my house, my own little family. Goodness gracias, did I ever have that wrong. Yes, I live in Minnesota. Yes, I have my own house here with my wonderful Hubs and our fantastic puppy and kitty. It’s awesome and I would definitely call it home.  However, in the next several days we are going to have the chance to travel home to see my side of the family. Catch that? Traveling home? How is it that I can call two places home when they are so far apart? How is it that I can feel comfortable in both places, almost as if I never left, never moved away? I know the saying: “Home is where your heart is.” However, it’s a bit too smushy for me (Yes, that’s a real word).

My home is where my people are. I’ve said before that when my family comes to visit, as soon as they begin the walk to security, to board the plane and fly far far away, its as though a little, tiny piece of my heart walks away with them. It is only when we are all together, my sisters, my Hubs and my parents, that I feel like life is good. Nothing bad can happen, I have my closest family with me. Okay, that might be taking it a bit too far, but you get my point. I love love love when my whole fam is together!

When the Hubs and I were dating, I really struggled with how separate my worlds felt. He was here, my family was there and I was somewhere in between. Being married has been good. It’s help me feel like I belong here. I miss when my family is complete and whole, but having the Hubs gave me a new home. It’s wonderfully fantastic.

I can’t wait to get on that plane and fly. I can’t wait to have the fam together again!

Comments