Skipping Easter

Holy Week is a powerful week. Or, I should say, Holy Week can be a powerful week. If I make the conscious decision to slow down, reflect on history, look towards the future and dwell in the present, Holy Week can be a good time to reflect on why I am here. Life gets busy. Who doesn't feel this constant pull to be "doing" and always "going"? Who doesn't understand and fight against busyness? At one point or another, we've all been there. I think Holy Week is during a time when a lot of people are very busy. It's spring, a new season when people start coming out of the woodwork from hibernation. We begin working in our yards as we rediscover where we planted flowers last year. We go for walks and enjoy the beautiful outdoors and trees begin springing back to life, birds singing their joyful songs. We start up spring church league softball seasons... Life picks up during spring and makes this time of year very hard to slow down. I wonder if this is why I often feel like I miss out on this week. I miss out on the important of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, only to realize that it's Monday and the Easter Lilys will soon stop blooming and life will continue with the busyness as normal.

Hold on. Let's back up and make sure everyone is on the same track. This time of year should be important to all Christ followers because this is the time when Christians reflect and remember the sacrifice Christ made for every living, breathing human being, regardless of race, background, history and future. Jesus chose death. Even when he could have easily stopped being whipped by a cat of 9 tails, stopped the crown of at least 3 inch thorns being pushed into his head, stopped the guards from driving spikes into his hands and feet. Every painful, torturous second that turned to minutes that turned to hours, Jesus chose to be there. He chose to suffer. He made that choice for me. He made that choice for you. His choice led to him dying on the cross. This choice conquered all sin, all darkness, all hatred, all evil. Jesus conquered everything that I cannot. Including death. Insane.

Reflecting on the choices that Jesus made thousands of years ago that will effect me forever is so hard to even begin thinking about. I don't know if my mind will ever even begin to wrap itself around understanding how incredible his choices truly were and are. It's so awesome, I just get wrapped up in it. Enveloped in the fact that I was chosen to be so special that someone died for me.

Okay, so I know this is a bit of a heavy blog. I just re-read what I've written and I couldn't agree more. I don't mean to stop your week, to guilt anyone who hasn't even stopped to think what this week means, I just hope that you'll take the chance to read over the Easter story and the events that led up to the cross. Let Jesus' choices sink in. Yes, it's hard to think about, but it's an amazing story of love. Just don't miss out or soon you will realize it's Monday. We have the chance to reflect on history, look towards the future and dwell in the present.



Pain reminds us this is not our home.


 

Comments